If your website has low search traffic, poor user engagement, or simply doesn’t meet your expectations, it may be time for an SEO audit. An SEO audit uncovers any ongoing technical and content issues that may prevent your website from reaching its full potential. In a nutshell, an SEO audit provides an in-depth analysis of your website’s accessibility and visibility, on-page SEO, and link structure. At Kiterocket, we check more than 30 parameters during an SEO audit, however, for a basic DIY audit we recommend focusing on the following questions:
– Is your site fully accessible and visible on the web? Crawl tools, such as Screaming Frog or Raven Site Auditor, will look at your website as a search engine does to make sure its elements are fully accessible and visible.
– Is your website fast? Check your load speed to make sure it loads fast. 1.5 seconds is a good ballpark number for the recommended site speed.
– Does each important page have a unique page title, meta description, Alt attribute, and H1? Are these elements keyword-optimized? Without those elements in place, search engines will have difficulty identifying the subject matter of your pages.
– Is your content fresh? Is it of high quality? With the advent of content marketing, content quality is the single most important factor determining the website’s quality score.
– Is your website well integrated with your social media channels?
– How large is your link structure? What is the quality of the incoming links? Although the importance of links for SEO is diminishing, they still play an important role in overall search engine rankings. Using one of the link analysis tools, such as MOZ Open Site Explorer or Majestic SEO, check your website’s link profile for any low-quality websites that may be bringing your quality score down.
This basic SEO audit is a good first step towards a healthier website and more effective SEO. However, if you want more in-depth analysis of your website or would like to receive recommendations on how to solve any uncovered issues, our SEO team is here to help.